Definition: notary - someone legally empowered to witness signatures and certify a document's validity.
Notary is a free service to Red Bank Public Library cardholders. Effective August 15, 2016, there will be a charge of $1.00 per signature for non-Red Bank Public Library cardholders.
The Red Bank Public Library offers Notary Public services for the benefit of the residents of our community. The following guidelines will be observed in the provision of Notary Service:
- Notary Services are available during the Library’s hours of operation and are not available in the fifteen (15) minutes after the time of opening or prior to the time of closing.
- Notary Service may not be possible if the document is pre-signed.
- All parties who need to sign the document must be present with valid photo identification.
- Customers seeking Notary Service should call the Library prior to their visit to ensure that the Notary is available. The Notary can be reached by calling 732-842-0690.
- Notary Service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Valid government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
- Notary Service is limited to three (3) documents per person, per visit.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized by this facility.
- Notary Service is not available for deeds, mortgages, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils or depositions.
- In situations where a witness is required, the Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the library.
- In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the individual whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. The Library Notary is not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Approved by Library Director and Board of Trustees, April 2012. Revised July 2016.